View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Donny Muth

Default From an....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
Here's a key; stay away from everything but all-time greats. It's just like investing, stick with something that has the most potential to, at the very least, hold value. There is a reason I am stock-piling Derek Jeter cards and not Christian Guzman and buying up Hall of Famer rookie cards and not spending that money on wax boxes of new products. If you want to last in this hobby, you have to be smart.
investment point of view maybe, but not from a collector's point of view. There is now, and I believe always be, a very strong want by collectors to have complete sets. Even including those players who pitched only 3 games their entire careers or had a .154 batting average.

Cards shouldn't be about getting your money back or making enough to retire or fund your kids' college education. At least not in my opinion. I think most people buy and sell cards because they are collectors and enjoy the cards and their history, regardless of whether or not their collections rise in value over time. For example, I'm still working on completing hand collated sets from the 80's and 90's that have dramatically dropped in value. It's about cards and players that I started collecting when I was a kid, not return on investment... for me at least.