Thread: quick share
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default thanks for looking and asking questions

it gives me an excuse to look at my stuff :-) In no particular order other than leaving an ethics professor's question for last... Waking up and being me is hard enough - I wouldn't want to see it either.
The Lorillard cabinet houses one of four advertising clocks I own. When I was more active in baseball memorabilia I owned one of the Ruth watches in the original container but that was then.... It's a table windup and the letters spell Mayo's tobacco. I also have a large Thomas/Baird plug advertising pendulum clock (probably looking to trade/sell it), a porcelain Pirate Cigarettes clock (unsure if it's a fantasy - anyone?), and a large bull durham counter-top winding clock in the shape of a huge Durham sack with cloth (pictured in the other Lorrilard cabinet). Shameless "plug" - I'm looking for only one more clock - table wind with color advertising for friendship cut plug - but then maybe I shouldn't be posting on a BASEBALL forum :-). Next to the Mayo is a large die-cut babe ruthian punchboard that belonged to Mastro and next to that a large pair of baseball Heubachs. I have a few different sizes of these as well as a few tennis ones. Couple not marked and a couple clearly aren't heubach but nearly everyone SELLING THEM attributes the figures to them because they bring more money even if they aren't.
The wooden bucket is is for Telegram tobacco and it retains nearly all of it's original "caddy" label and all of the hardware and top. It measures about 11" wide and 13" tall. It predates 1900 and the graphics are quite strong. It held 1/3 gross of Spaulding and Merrick's fine cut tobacco. It was shipped to a business in (I kid you not) Spiceland Indiana where a tobacconist likely displayed it (think old country store) as well as doled it out. There is a hinged top that allows easy access.
The Lorrilard cabinet has an interesting history. It was provided to purveyors that bought minimum amounts of their tobacco products - I believe over the course of a year. There's a folding trade card that spells out all the terms although most often only a single page of the three page card is encountered - I have it somewhere. The cabinets come up for sale in various sport and/or advertising auctions once or twice in most years. There are few different styles - some more elaborate than others - historically the range 1500. - 4500..
Barry - nice of you to say - thanks! I must get up to the slope before it disappears altogether! Unfortunately this beast-o-mine keeps growing but I've sold a few things and ready to sell a few more as I have no room to walk around. As for the gems and minerals I'll try and grab a few pix later but they're nothing near as nice as in Barry's aging mind. Sports, non-sports, gems and minerals - I'm like a mini chad but with champaigne taste and caviar dreams on a budget......