View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Default Question for Mr. Heitman re: renumbering 1933 Goudey cards

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I'm sorry, but with all due respect to Mr. Heitman, I think it's important to point out the illogic of this. People are reading it and talking about it and expanding on the concept, and considering the possibility that a roomful of old-time collectors may have been messing around with vintage inks, vintage papers, and vintage presses in some mad scientist/card geek laboratory in 1950, creating undetectable forgeries that are floating around the hobby today.

And printing them on strips.

While changing the numbers and backs, just for the heck of it. And creating rare back variations that only a few people know aren't really real.

And they did both T206s and '33 Goudeys - two completely different types of cards, completely different sizes, completely different stock - and both are undetectable. They got the inks right, they got the colors right, the typography, the images. Every image was produced absolutely perfectly. The fakes are completely undetectable - the only way to know the difference between the real ones and the fake ones is to be an old-time collector and to have been let in on the secret, which has been kept safe within the Hobby Pioneers Secret Society since 1950.

So since nobody else has said it yet, and people are repeating it as if it's fact now, I'll say it:

That's ridiculous.

Sorry.

-Al

edited for clarity.