View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default Question for Mr. Heitman re: renumbering 1933 Goudey cards

Posted By: cmoking

Mr. Heitman, you wrote in another thread something about Goudeys that I had never heard of. I'm not a hobby verteran, so I'm not surprised to hear something new. But since I am a Goudey collector, this piqued my interest. I thought I'd start a new thread since this would be a tangent to the Wagner thread.

Mr. Heitman wrote: "Back in the '50's, and even earlier than that, there was a group of hobby veterans who, in their spare time, liked to redo older sets of cards. They would make changes--like completely renumbering the 1933 Goudey set, or changing backs."

Can you elaborate what you mean by "renumbering the 1933 Goudey set"? Do you mean they re-printed all the cards, but just changed the number of the card on the back? If so, were the re-printed cards on the same card stock (or similar) to the Goudey set? If a collector (or grader) today saw one of those, could they distinguish the re-print from the real thing (other than the different number)?

I have heard of a Leo Durocher card with #106 on the back. Is that an exmaple of one of the re-done, renumbered Goudey cards? What about this #161/#124 Al Spohrer card? Is this card below an example of one of the redone, renumbered Goudey cards?

Thank you very much for your knowledge and information!