View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 10:08 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
I never knew that Sweeney was considered a separate card holy scnikies!

What's the story on that?

And how much a premium do those go for?
I don't think they really go for a significant premium, other than what other printing oddities might go for.

Here is a thread from last summer where I mentioned a little bit about the history of the Sweeney "no B" version:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...+B#post1434376

And see the second-to-last paragraph on the first page of Heitman's 1978 article (the first scan in the first post of this thread), where he discusses why he doesn't consider "Sweeney no B" to be a separate card:

"The Sweeney, Boston National with no "B" on jersey, is really just a printing oddity. I have seen the card with about 10 different shades of the B, some of them very close to being plain. I have seen other T206s with the same problems, some with skin tones totally bleached out, but none have ever gained the notoriety of Sweeney. Unlike Magie, I do not consider the Sweeney, no B, to be a separate card. Although interesting, I leave collecting these cards to those who have the patience to look for the slightest error, variation, misprinting or oddity in the printing of cards. Printers are not perfect."