View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Kyle May

Grover Hartley is my Pre-War player I collect. He was the manager for the minor league team my grandpa and uncle each played for respectively.

Here is the Baseball Reference page. Donald May is my grandpa. My uncle played in 1939.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...gi?id=170780ce

Hartley has 7-9 (his T207 supposedly has different backs) Pre War cards. I have 2 of them at the moment.

Additionally, I am planning on doing a raw Gene Woodling Post-War basic collection (not sure if it would count as a master set), because he played against my grandpa in 1940, and went on to have a pretty successful career in the MLB. I might even buy them slabbed by PSA for their set registry.

As far as your collection goes, I will say this. I, like you, wanted everything. Haha. Pre-War sets are so cool and in many cases, very large. It's nearly impossible to collect EVERYTHING (as I am finding out), and Pre-War collecting goals often change (again, as I am finding out). My advice would be to collect a player who is very liquid. If you have no personal connection with Lajoie, my guess is you'll eventually want to change your Pre-War collecting focus at least once. A player like Lajoie is liquid enough to move pretty quickly, and if you buy them at good deals, you can even profit a bit.

Good luck and enjoy!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 07-17-2017 at 09:46 AM.