View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 PM

Seems like some of the comments on this thread neglect half of the pricing equation. The argument from some Net54 Illuminati, in a nutshell, seems to go like this: “T206s are far more plentiful than other prewar sets, yet command higher prices. So they are overvalued.”

But viewing pricing solely as function of supply/scarcity is myopic. There’s this pesky thing called demand that also contributes to market prices. T206 is an iconic set (like ‘33 Goudey and ‘52 Topps) that attracts attention from thousands of collectors and remains part of the zeitgeist after more than a century. No other pre-Goudey set I can think of can make that claim (maybe '14-'15 Cracker Jack comes the closest).

So, yes, T206s may well be undervalued relative to other prewar sets. While past is not necessarily prologue, T206s have out(price)performed most if not all other prewar sets in the last 40 years. I think that trend is more likely to continue than not.

I say this as someone who a little more than a decade ago became enamored with scarce prewar cards and lost more than a few dollars pursuing those.

BTW I voted for Cy Young Portrait. WaJo was a better pitcher but Cy has the award named after him and thus remains more in the umbra of the zeitgeist.

Last edited by sreader3; 08-14-2018 at 08:16 PM.