View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default Ways to assemble a nice collection?

Posted By: Dave

I totally re-worked my collection this year. I was putting a t206 set together in PSA 3/ SGC 40 range for the last couple years... but it started to lose it's luster for me.

Since I'm a die-hard Yanks fan, I decided I wanted to really put a great Yankees Collection together. I had a couple nice Gehrig Cards (33 Goudey, 28 Harringtons both SGC 50)... so I decided to make them the foundation of my collection.

I kept the t206 Highlanders cards (and a PSA 3 Red Cobb just because I love that card) but sold off the rest of what I had... lots of HOF players and stuff. I swung them for some really great Pre-War Yanks cards including an E121 Ruth Montage.
Then I focused on the following Yanks sets:
t207
M101-5/4
Cracker Jacks
E121
'33 Goudeys

I've gotten about half of all of them in their respective sets so far. But I also found a new love for modern cards. During those slow points in the pre-war search, I decided to try to get the regular Topps issues from the present and make my way back to meet my vintage collection in the middle. I already had a lot of the sets from when I was a kid. I've now gotten every single regular season and update issue for the Yanks from present day to '62... so I'm getting there.

My point is that I re-focused my collection in a single year to try to have it showcase the history of the ball club. I think in a perfect world I would have 1 set of cards for the Yanks every year they have been in existence. Those E107's may never come around to me, but a guy has to wish.