View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 03:33 PM

This was an enjoyable thread that has been dormant for a while so I thought I'd wake it up in hopes others had some additional unique and interesting items to post.

I'm a diary collector so I'll put this one out there - It comes from the family of Lt. Jacobson, one of the 16 P-38 pilots that were on the mission to shoot down Yamamoto on April 18, 1943. This is one of the biggest missions in military history, much like the SEALS tracking down and killing Bin Laden. Yamamoto was the architect of the Pearl Harbor attack. The U.S. had cracked the Japanese code and found out his flight path and sent a squadron of P-38 long range fighters to attempt to intercept him...which was like finding a needle in a haystack considering the timing and distance. Amazingly they did find him and shoot him down. The only bad part, as far as the pilots that pulled this off was concerned, was that they were told they would be court-martialed if they told anybody about it because they were afraid that the Japanese would realize they had broken their code. They wanted the Japanese to believe it was just damn luck. So, the story didn't really come out in detail until after the war.

Here is the first page of the entry followed by a transcription.

Rob M.

1.JPG

transcript - April 19th .jpg

Info (1).jpg