Thread: Depressing
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 10:31 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Matty, we get that you collect for the sheer purity, love and enjoyment of the hobby. You can afford it, and could care less if Aaron Judge (or whoever) becomes a bust and you lost several thousands on their cards. But I think you are in the minority there. Just because you are an intelligent collector with means, it doesn't follow that many others aren't risking big bucks chasing the promise of the next Mike Trout. We all got burned in the 80's, but that was CHUMP CHANGE compared to the money being spent on speculative prospects like Strasbourg. I think that is the greater point of this thread. But as I mentioned in a previous post, I think any form of collecting cards is good for our hobby, and I'm all for it.
I will also echo Sam's sentiment from a previous post in that I would love to buy the cards of modern players, but just hate that each guy has 1,000 rookies IN DIFFERING YEARS. There are too many to choose from. I don't want to just buy his 472nd "best" rookie, but I also don't want to spend 5-figures on one of his top 5 rookies. I will spend it on Ruth or Cobb because the cards are awesome and their status as immortals is already secured.
Very well stated, as usual, Orly. It brings to mind the thought that just over 1% of the players who ever played major league baseball actually made the HOF. Even Trout is not yet anywhere near a sure thing. This game is essentially one for vigorous young men in their twenties, and for a small few, their early thirties, by and large. Check out Bill James' studies on player performance versus age. By age 35, even the few good enough to still play at a major league level are then producing at a rate of only about 65% of their peak, and it's downhill from there for almost all. The last time Willie Mays was really Willie Mays was 1966, when he was 35 years old. Aaron appeared to play at a higher level longer, but the Fulton County "Launching Pad" masked a lot of his decline--check his home/road splits after the Braves moved to Atlanta. I enjoy watching Trout, because he's the closest thing I have seen to Mickey Mantle since I have been a baseball fanatic in the very early sixties, but sorry, he's only really reached second base, and is still far from home.

Best to you,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-20-2018 at 10:34 PM.