View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 09:42 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstYearCards View Post
Why do people worry about other bidders? Put your bid in and accept the price, nobody put a gun to your head. If you don't want your bid shilled, snipe.

Surely everyone can put their own value on a card, if not... Get what you deserve?

I've bought/sold and retained hundreds of cards for my collection/resale. I've never regretted a purchase because I don't bid more than I value the card. Pretty simple.
why do people worry about other bidders? because they impact the price you ultimately may have to pay to win the card.

does that mean there is a vast conspiracy of manipulation that is causing prices to skyrocket in a small segment of the card market? no.

is there likely some form of manipulation (e.g., bid retractions) that is having some artificial impact on raising prices? yes.

is there the possibility of making incremental positive changes (e.g., blocking bidders with high bid retractions) that would alleviate manipulation and have little, if any, downside to hobbyists? yes.

will this solve all the problems affecting price manipulation in the hobby? no.

does that mean hobbyists shouldn't care about implementing incremental positive changes? no.

would brent/pwcc be addressing the issue of bid retractions if he/they didn't feel it was negatively affecting the market? no.

is his/pwcc's view on this issue meaningful in the context of him/they having a better view of auction pricing dynamics than possibly anyone on this board? yes.