View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
I'm going to look into the blank back T216's. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I'm looking for some more info on Coupon Cigarettes. I'm pretty sure they were manufactured by the American Tobacco Company but I have some questions.

ATC broke apart in 1911 forming several different companies with 4 major players: Ligget & Myers Tobacco Co., P. Lorillard Co., R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., and a much reduced American Tobacco Co.

If T213's were distributed between 1910-1919, who would have had control of Coupon Cigarettes after the 1911 break-up? I'm pretty sure that the W.R. Irby branch of Ligget & Myers was the only one located in New Orleans so would they have been the ones producing Coupon Cigarettes?

I've tried searching the web for more info on Coupon but I just keep getting hits about cigarette coupons. I was just hoping someone here might have a definitive answer.

T213's

As stated before, these White-Bordered cards (cousins to the T206's) were all produced in New York City at the AMERICAN LITHOGRAPHIC Co. Then shipped
to the COUPON cigarette Factory in New Orleans to be packaged with COUPON cigarettes.

It is my belief that the thin cardboard 1910 "COUPON" cards (T213-1) were never inserted in COUPON cigarette packs. Individual cards from this 68-card set
were included in Cigarette cartons containing 100's of cigarettes of this brand. The T213-2 and T213-3 cards were inserted into COUPON cigarette packs.

T215's

The T215 cards were produced in New York City at the AMERICAN LITHOGRAPHIC Co. Then shipped to the Lorillard plant (Factory #10) in Jersey City (NJ),
and inserted in the Red Cross tobacco products. A large find of Red Cross cards occurred some years back in the Louisiana area.

T216

These cards were produced by the printing firm in the Philadelphia area that produced the various Caramel sets. These cards were then shipped to the Factory
in New Orleans which produced the People's Tobacco Co. brands (KOTTON, MINO, VIRGINIA EXTRA). Then the T216 cards were packaged with their respective
Cigarette brand.

Hey guys

Please realize that Tobacco or Candy Factory's (circa 1908-1919) had machinery and low-paid employees to strictly produce Cigarettes, or Caramel confections.
These Factory's did NOT have the artists, technicians, machinery, or facilities to print Lithographic picture cards.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 05-30-2014 at 12:03 AM.