View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Steve, I think it might be more than just improper transfer given the print dot from the caption that is next to the logo - that seems like the caption was printed and then something knocked a piece off, no?

Another question: How likely is it that multiple presses were set up to run the cards? If it would have been extremely likely to have only been a single press, then that will help answer some question.
I should be more clear.

The stones were made using transfers printed from a master. Think like the old iron ons, or fake tattoos. Only printed with a very thick ink like tar onto an easily dissolved paper. It would get placed on the stone with solvent to make it stick, then the paper would be removed.
The Murr'y would be from a position where most of the A peeled of along with the backing paper.
That's what I meant by a bad transfer.

It's entirely possible there were multiple presses set up. I think it's likely given the approximate production, and the typical sheets/hour the presses could manage.

There's also a few things that point towards at least one multi color press being used. And that most cards went to press at least three times with slightly different art. And that the print groups now considered standard were a nice start, but not entirely accurate, just a decent basic framework to fit things into.

I generally don't get into that stuff unless it's directly important to a discussion, as it takes an already complicated subject, and makes it even more complicated.