View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Default PSA Sports Market Report (SMR) price guide accuracy?

I'm just working my way deeper into the vintage world now, and while looking up some sets that I'd like to tackle in the future, I stumbled upon PSA's Sports Market Report (SMR)- Basically a price guide for PSA graded cards from different sets. Can someone provide some feedback on how accurate this is? I know that Beckett's price guide is pretty much obsolete now, but I hadn't heard of the PSA SMR before and don't know how closely I should try to use it

For example, here's the SMR for T206 White Borders- https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguid...te-border/1055

How closely should I be using this to look up target prices for specifically graded cards? I.e, Home Run Baker's T206 White Border in a PSA 4 is currently marked at $225- Is it generally accurate or helpful to look up prices in this way? If so, how should I use that number in what I try to buy copies at? (i.e. trying to buy something for lower, higher, or right at that number). Is the SMR generally more accurate for certain sets or types of players? I could see this tool working better for the better names and less well for the commons, but that's just me guessing. From the little research I've done, almost all the copies of cards I've looked at on eBay are listed as BINs for much higher than the corresponding price on the SMR- Is this to be expected?

I really don't know much of anything about this, so wanted to get some feedback from the community- I appreciate the help!

Last edited by Hollywood42; 04-27-2017 at 09:44 AM.