View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Default anybody else oops...like I did?

Posted By: Cat

I blame this issue on alcohol.

One night, with an inordinately high BAC, I was cruising through EBay. This was some years ago so I can't recall all the dollar figures with absolute certainty but one can get the general "feel" for the story....

I had wanted a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #144 card. I have always thought that one is real sweet. I see an SGC 84 and the description read like this:

1933 Babe Ruth Goudey #144 SGC 84 WWG

I put in my bid of oooohhhhh 75% of SMR for a PSA 7 not really even reading the description. Days later I go back and read the description. It's a World Wide Gum card. I was peeved but also embarassed that I was that careless and stupid. I ended up winning the card and sold it many months later at a near $1,000 loss. Oddly enough the seller was a fairly major auction house that specializes in items other than cards (but a lot of cards as well) AND I have never even glanced at their catalog. I think under todays EBay rules falsely putting "Goudey 144" in the title would be a violation. Certainly 100% of the blame goes to me...but that doesn't stop me from harboring animosity.