View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Default Trading in the shiny stuff to fund your post war addiction

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

I have had very good luck the last 2 years flipping cards to reinvest in more cards.

I started after working on a PSA Clemente Master set for 3 years, I got to know how these collectors work, I then picked a couple issues/players and looked for them raw and then got them graded and resold them. I stuck with harder to find cards, not topps or bowman regular issue.

Then I moved into collecting exhibit cards and after collecting them for a while I got an idea of that market and started to look for deals and have done very nice.

I also used the pop reports and sent in cards that had little or no graded cards. An example I purchased a box of 2007 Goudey cards at the Houston tristar show, the bonus card I got was a Sports King Tiger Woods. I felt I was lucky right there and had made a little money on the deal, but after checking the pop report and only 3 cards had been send in with none higher than an 8, I sent it in. It came back a 10 (yes very lucky) and I sold it 4 days later in my ebay store for $950, I was real happy I didnt just put the raw card on ebay and sold it for $200. That helped to buy a lot of exhibits, haha.

The key for me is I learned the ins and outs of these two areas (my niches) and felt it gave me a competitive advantage. I had a real good feel for what the cards would sell for both raw and graded, I knew the really scarce cards, learned what the fakes or trimmed cards looked like and I took my chances on ebay. When I got real lucky with my grades, like any Clemente psa 9 or an SGC 60 exhibit walter johnson, I flipped them to fund other deals.

Good luck on your T206 set!