View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 PM
J Hull

Ron,

The requirement to put factory and revenue district information on tobacco inserts was, at the latest, promulgated by August 1, 1907. The Commissioner of Internal Revenue periodically revised their published regulations on the various aspects of the tobacco trade. The first I've seen the requirement is in the regulations as of 8/1/1907, but they may actually have been promulgated earlier. The repeal of the ban on inserts (i.e. cards) in tobacco packages was passed by Congress on July 1, 1902. So sometime between those dates the regs came into effect.

You raise an excellent point about Monos not bearing the factory and district information. It's made me wonder whether they might have been point-of-sale giveaways rather than actually packaged with the product. The federal law is extremely clear on the requirement, and there were heavy penalties (fines and forfeiture of all the offending product) for violation. It doesn't mean they weren't ignoring the law anyway, but to me that would suggest they were a very small operation, because they'd be the kind to try to get away with it.

Last edited by jimonym; 06-23-2010 at 07:50 PM.