View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I don't think we know for certain that Wagner said "no" do we? He died in 1955 and by that time it was known that the Wagner card was a very hard card to come by...it would have been cool if Jefferson Burdick, Lionel Carter or any of the other hobby pioneers had asked him what the deal was?
You're right, Dan, we don't know for sure. The speculation has been that he wanted more money, or that he didn't want his likeness on a tobacco card because it could influence children. But hasn't he been on other tobacco cards without there being any issue?

Unless some document surfaces in the future (something like a "cease and desist" letter to ATC from Wagner's attorney), we may never know for sure. But doesn't not knowing for sure add to the card's mystique?

Steve and Greg, I'd thought about which Ruth card could take the place of the Wagner. To be honest, I'm a little surprised there isn't more press about it when Ruth's appeal is taken into consideration. He's still the most popular athlete in American professional sports history, and that Ruth is actually rarer than the white border Wagner issue, is it not?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 10-27-2013 at 07:29 PM.