View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 11:34 AM

Default 52 Topps Gray Geeks only!

I have been wanting to update this research for awhile, but could not manage to find the time. Well, now I have found it! Plenty...of...time.

I now have almost three more years of data for my white front/gray front study of the 52 Topps third series gray backs. (I know my language is confusing, but I also know that you geeks get it.) See my original post almost three years ago for the parameters and assumptions.

I now have 1336 uniquely-identified gray backs (I will avoid repeating "1952 Topps third series" each time, but you know that is what I mean). These cards have been catalogued by TPG number, or in the case of raw cards, ones that I have in hand and can uniquely identify. As with three years ago, I am sure there is some double counting because of cards being broken out of the holders and resubmitted, or sold as raw. As with three years ago, I hope the data skewing is minimal and does not affect the overall conclusion.

My data now show that about 15%, or about 1 in 7 gray backs have white (glossy) fronts. This is not quite as rare as I surmised three years ago (1 in 9), but still not common by any means.

As a final note, I have now seen, in hand or on scans, a white-front version of each of the 60 cards (except a yellow logo House-the 61st card!), including Reiser.

I welcome any comments.

Bill

Last edited by flkersn; 03-24-2020 at 11:35 AM.