View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I would say they are modern reprints. At first blush they look like photos printed on fiber paper which is generally thicker than regular photographic paper. Mostly used by professional studios and fine art photographers. The giveaway to me is the extra wide margin. That occurs when the ratio between the image and the paper being used does not match. A good example is 35mm film. A 35mm negative can be printed on 8x10 paper however, the length to width ratio of a 35mm negative does not equal that of an 8x10 sheet of photo paper. It is closer to 8x12. The choice is either to crop the photo to fit on the paper or reduce the image so that it fits to the paper. Doing that gives you a print with one margin that is larger than the other three. This happens to me when I go into the darkroom and want a full size image on 8x10 paper. This person probable scanned the original images but when he went to print them the image did not fit properly and stretching the image to fit the paper/cardboard would have created obvious distortion in the photo itself.
The seller is doing what many people do. They are trying to finesse the wording. The image is vintage, but the photo is not.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-05-2017 at 12:54 PM.