View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
No preconceived notions and do a type collection of cards you like that fit within your budget. A potential simple but effective solution .
One of the wonderful things about our hobby is that there's really no right or wrong way to do it. There's so many players I've read about, or watched in old clips, over the years, and I want to add them all to my collection eventually, even if it's just one nice card to start out with.

For every Ted Williams, there's a Johnny Pesky. I like the Hall of Famers, and I like the guys that played supporting roles. They're all part of the history of the game I love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Wahoo Sam Crawford....I like his Cracker Jack cards the best. He's one of the more affordable hall of famers out there that fit nicely into a $400-$500/month budget. I'd put Eddie Collins into that category as well.

Slow and steady wins the race and it sounds like that's your plan.
That's pretty much going to be my mantra. As I've gotten older, I've become very disciplined. I've learned not to overextend myself. And there's no reason to rush. A hobby isn't supposed to create stress. It's supposed to be relaxing, and enjoyable. So if I buy just one card in a month...or if I have to save two months to get something I really want, finally getting that particular card in my hands will be all the more thrilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Or you could just stick w/ modern cards and buy up every Adrian Beltre card available!!
I'm more a Brewers guy, so maybe Rollie Fingers? He's one of the great characters of the game, he won a Cy Young and MVP while a Brewer, and he's in the Hall of Fame. And his cards aren't terribly expensive. Maybe I'll collect him as I go as well. And having a buddy that knows him, maybe I can ask him to sign a card or two for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I'd consider boxing movie cards...I like the sylvester stallone "yo adrian" card!
I'm afraid if I do that, I'll start splurging on Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica cards, too. I'm big into 70s and 80s pop culture, and if I open Pandora's Box even a little, there's no telling what I might end up buying.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.