View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Default Another Joe Jackson T5 cabinet question

Posted By: Millerhouse

The comments above about the presence or absence of borders on T5s led me to pull out my 19 T5s and make what I think is a very interesting discovery. Six of my 19 T5s are mounted on the less desirable, thin, construction paper-type mounting, while 13 are mounted on the more commonly seen and more desirable molded cardboard mounts. Fascinatingly enough, the six photos on the construction paper mounts have quite uniformly sized white borders: 3/16 of an inch wide. Five of the six photos are 4 inches wide, including the borders, while the sixth, a minor leaguer (Lefty George) is only 3 and 5/16 inches wide (though with identically sized 3/16 of an inch wide white borders).

Comparing these to the T5s on the more common molded cardboard mounts (like those of the Jacksons at issue), none of the photos is 4 inches wide, and, indeed, could not possibly be 4 inches wide without overrunning the fancy borders molded into the mounts. Some of my thirteen on the fancy mounts have no borders and some have a little bit of border, but none has a border 3/16 of an inch wide. This suggests fairly clearly that there was some variation in the size of the T5 photos and, more to the point, that Pinkerton had to cut some of the photos down in size to allow them to fit with the fancy borders cut into the heavy molded cardboard backings.

So, on the heavy carboard mounts, to the extent that white borders eixst at all, they are generally quite small. By contrast, it appears as though the original photos, with borders uniformly 3/16 of an inch had to be cut down to fit into the borders molded into the heavy cardboard mounts.

Dan