View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 Bowman PCL

So much to tell, so where do I begin...... in 1984 at a BB card show in Atlantic City (NJ), I acquired my first set (36 cards) of this extremely rare PCL issue.
I talked the dealer into a cash/trade deal. A little cash and a dozen (or so) 1982 Topps Traded sets (which were hot back then). I was thrilled with this deal.
Since then, I have upgraded this set many times over. And, I have helped collectors complete 6 of these Bowman PCL sets.

For many years (1970's-1980's) the thinking regarding these cards was that they were not issued in packs, but were cut from 36-card sheets. In the early
1980's a gentleman from nearby Philadelphia contacted me to sell his original collection of Bowman cards from his youth. When I sorted thru this collection,
it was heavy on 1949 Bowman's. Much to my surprise it included 7-PCL cards. The owner of these Bowman cards clearly recalled that these PCL cards were
in the regular issue 1949 Bowman packs that contained higher #'s. These 7 cards were indeed factory-cut.

Mark Macrae tells of an interesting find in the Northwest of these PCL cards. Perhaps he will chime in here with his story.

Depicted here is a scan from my PCL album of 12 of these Bowman cards. I have 2 more such scans of the other 24 cards that I will post when I find them.

The regular 1949 Bowman cards were issued in this Red-White-Blue wrapper. The Green-White-Orange one is a very rare 1949 Bowman wrapper. And, it's
thought that this wrapper may have been issued containing the PCL cards.

TED Z