View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Falvo View Post
I would love to build more 50's to 70's sets, but the fun in that was going to shops and shows with my want lists and working the set. Now, there are very few shows and shops around here anymore. It's not nearly as much fun trying to build a 700 card set buying the cards individually or in small lots online.

Yeah it sucks to not have shows, can't window shop and congregate like you use to. Man, I still remember the nationals in the late 80's. There were lines just to get in. And the HOF autograph lines took 1-hour plus (and was a fraction of what they are charging now). Hell, anyone remember the tri-star convention where all the autos were FREE: Campanella, Ali, Namath, Jim Brown, Koufax(?a bit foggy?), list goes on. What a show. I remember my whole family lining up to get admission (auto ticket), rubbing that stamp off our hand, and getting another admission ticket... hahaha, those were fun days.

Obviously our industry has changed, the internet removed transaction costs and improved availability. TPGs providing authenticity and standardized grading, you no longer have to be in person to buy high ticket cards. But the result of that is no longer the need for dealers to pay for booths because it doesnt make economic sense for them to spend on travel, T&E, and booth costs when they can just sell on the internet. And many other dealers changed their stripes from selling vintage to modern pack/box volume (and now to breaks). So what we got remaining is us collectors and dealers who truly love vintage collecting, otherwise they wouldnt tie up their working capital.

The industry is changing, but I think its evolving into something better... because another aspect of admiring cards, is being able to share what we have with others and discussing about it. With message boards, blogs, tweets, facebook groups, we can do that and instantly find people who share common connections on loving cards, old and new. And the popularity of TPG has created a "flytrap" so to speak for this new ecosystem. I am excited with where the hobby is heading, so no doom and gloom here from me...

Except, it pisses me off more the only show relevant locally I can't go because my son has his first dance tonight and I am hosting my old friend to stay over tonight. And tomorrow I have a 40th birthday party to go to for another friend. Higher power up there wants me to save money.