View Single Post
Old 10-19-2001, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default why is the SCD so messed up on prices

Posted By: leon

Hey Todd,
You make a good point . The dealers use the spiel "you can throw the guides out on this one" so I absolutely agree with you. On the other hand they will use the same guide when they are buying as to get the best cost and NOT use the spiel. The fact is that you CAN throw the guides out on a lot of them. That is my point. The guys that live and die by the book are, in my avid-amateur opinion, few and far between and will still say whatever they want to. Seems like the dealers ALWAYS do what is best for them, which they should, but that involves using the addage or not depending on if they are buying or selling. In my brief 5 years of collecting (I have only ever sold 2 cards so I am a "true" collector although will probably sell a few more soon to buy others) I have seen almost every case of the dealer using whatever sales technique they can to make the most money. If the guide were more accurate then you could NOT throw the guides out. I don't really want to start any argument and do see your points. All things considered I would still like the guide to be more accurate. Of course, as usual, I may be the ONLY one with this opinion. Maybe I will just help Mr. Lemke with some pic's of cards he does not have and a few uncatalogued cards....like the pic of my 1886 New York Baseball Club card and the M101 Holmes-to-Homes card that is not even listed......on the positive side I see they included the "Martens Bakery" D304.....nice job !!! Happy collecting and best regards ps....would like to hear some other thoughts on whether or not the price guide being more accurate would be good or bad..