View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Admittedly I don't collect autographs. I have enough headaches on the card side and I "think" I know what I am doing over there. I did tell Ken, while on the phone, that I think the TPA's have probably helped the autograph part of the hobby "some".....I just don't have enough experience to really know how much. I will let you guys hash all of that out. Ken does collect some autographs and did make the statement I said, and in reading this board, it seems like he isn't the only one that feels this way. Now, there are also those folks that think TPG (the card graders) have hurt that side of the hobby. I disagree with them as I do know that part of the hobby and think they have helped. It still isn't perfect but, to me, is a lot better with them than without them. As one of the SGC guys and myself were chatting this morning, concerning a fairly obvious error they made and are trying to rectify....the overriding sentiement is, "you will never make everyone happy." That's the only thing I am certain of!!
It's funny that the same people who complain about the mistakes that PSA, JSA, BGS or SGC make, don't complain when their PSA 10 card/autograph, JSA card/autograph, SGC card or BGS 9.5/10 card sells for a tremendous amount of money because of that PSA, BGS, JSA or SGC high grade or authenticated autograph.

We are all human and we all make mistakes. Some complain because their in-person autograph wasn't authenticated; I don't blame any authenticator who errs on the side of caution as opposed to maybe certing a forgery.

Most collectors have their cards graded or autographs authenticated so that their card or autograph sells for a higher premium.

There was a discussion on the other side about a Ozzie Smith PSA 10 rookie card that sold for $20,000. The collector who got that card graded made a nice penny on that card and the buyer of that card now owns a rare Ozzie Smith PSA 10 rookie card. Both the seller and buyer got what they wanted.