View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
So, another scorned submitter lashing out.

I'm frankly puzzled what people mean when they say stuff like, "can't stand what has happened to this part of the hobby."

Were they around in the 90s when literally 80% of the stuff on ebay was fake? Did they go to any of the shows in the 90s when many of the show dealers were selling Marino Family forgeries and no one knew it? Have they forgotten the so-called reputable dealers like B&J Collectibles and Stans Sports selling forgeries by the truckload at shows and in big glossy magazine ads?

Admittedly, the hobby has its issues, but it's way cleaner now than it was a decade ago.
Admittedly I don't collect autographs. I have enough headaches on the card side and I "think" I know what I am doing over there. I did tell Ken, while on the phone, that I think the TPA's have probably helped the autograph part of the hobby "some".....I just don't have enough experience to really know how much. I will let you guys hash all of that out. Ken does collect some autographs and did make the statement I said, and in reading this board, it seems like he isn't the only one that feels this way. Now, there are also those folks that think TPG (the card graders) have hurt that side of the hobby. I disagree with them as I do know that part of the hobby and think they have helped. It still isn't perfect but, to me, is a lot better with them than without them. As one of the SGC guys and myself were chatting this morning, concerning a fairly obvious error they made and are trying to rectify....the overriding sentiment is, "you will never make everyone happy." That's the only thing I am certain of!!

Last edited by Leon; 02-03-2012 at 04:34 PM.