View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Todd Schultz

Has anyone seen a full gallery of the e121 series of 80? I would be very interested in knowing how many of the "old" photos are contained in the set--those taken from e135 and its ilk.

My initial thought years ago was that e120-80 was originally supposed to be just a group of recycled e135s with new team or position changes. Thinking it would be better to revamp, American Caramel then decided to add players who weren't around in 1917, along with updated photos for some of the more prominent players. What was puzzling was that the company clearly thought of issuing another, 120 card set, and did so within about a year, so why not wait instead of employing the more ad hoc approach of changing cards in e121-80, especially when many were just minor text changes? Sadly, I never got into the set to see where the research might take me on that.

All in all, my SCD book shows 136 different cards for this 80 card set. I wonder how many of these are the old photos and how many are not. Any facts, opinions or guesstimates are welcome.