View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 06:24 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
+1. You are an astute man David James! I have noticed that as well myself.

The card in question was a 1961 Topps Juan Marichal rookie card (PSA 6). As far as regular Topps issues go, this is one of the most off centered cards I know of (as well as the 1959 Bob Gibson). The winning buyer seemed to be quite hung up on VCP average and not wanting to get ripped off (which the average is around $66). Being a VCP member myself, I explained to him that all the cards selling for VCP average or less, are HORRENDOUSLY off centered, to the tune of 80/20 or worse, usually favoring the extreme left or right border. If you notice any of the cards selling for more than that, all of them are centered halfway decent. The selling prices range from $90-$105 for cards that are centered half-way decent. That being said, he overpaid by a whopping $9! Doesn't have to be 50/50, just better than the usual horrible ones I am seeing. The buyer didn't want to hear that. He thought $66 was gonna win it. I am not a fan of problematic auctions for the exact reasons two other members have stated. One of the underbidders is one of the premiere PSA graded card "flippers" on EBay. Do I want to risk alienating his future business (he bids on alot of my stuff) by letting him think that this particular auction was shilled?? Hell no! I will probably send him a 2nd chance anyway, and hope for the best, as I really hate starting over from scratch.

And yes, that was a valid question - does he really want to be blocked for overpaying by $9????? I block all non-paying bidders - I sure as hell will block one for doing what he is doing (which in my opinion is worse, because he should know better).
its funny its over 8 dollars! and its a clear obligation..yeah you can get out of it on a mistake but why go that route? Heck i have paid hundreds of dollars and followed through on a 'mistake' and bought the card and resold the card and taken a 10-20% loss which to me was better than not meeting my obligation...to me 9 dollars isnt worth it to cry to the seller etc (and yes i know there may be a diisagremetn of the exact amount difference) and even offer to pay the difference on a another auction...wait a week to pay 9 dollars? Plus if now buy the card at 'vcp' ..now im out the 9 dollars on the 'deal' i made plus the money spent for VCP...and its probably not as centered a card.....

Yes i know the bidder was willing to pay for the card if not released from the obligation, but i why not just pay it...save the 'favor' to be released from an obligation on a bigger type transaction...now this is on the record if something else comes up

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-24-2016 at 06:29 PM.