View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 AM
Rich Klein

Default Are you sure the cards were not graded

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
You know, it's funny that you mentioned this..

I love Heritage, I always have. I frequent it more than eBay, I have spent more than I care to share and I do not mind how they conduct their business in the slightest. As for Coaches Corner, I have only bid on an item ONCE.

Now, I have had only ONE problem with Heritage and ONE problem with CC in my history with both. Surprisingly, Coaches Corner was the one to resolve the issue while Heritage left a sour taste in my mouth:

I bought a 1986 Fleer Jordan PSA 8 from Coaches Corner (stupid, I know). When I got it in the mail I noticed the case had obviously been tampered with. Surprisingly, CC immediately refunded my money and took the item back. I was happy to break even on that one.

I once bought a "Complete" 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set from Heritage. It was NM and I spent over $1,000 for it. A lot for the set. Well, I get the set in the mail and I notice the "Ted Signs" card (a valuable SP) is a counterfeit. I email Heritage and the response I get was rather rude:

BTW the title of the auction was "1959 Fleer Ted Williams High Grade Complete Set (79)"

"The set you purchased was a 79-card complete set and clearly says so in the title. There is no mention of card #68 being included because it is not. As is the case with the short-print ’33 Goudey Lajoie the is considered complete without it because of its scarcity. Did you really think that a sports auction house would not have mentioned the most valuable card in the set? …nor include it in the imaged cards? As a counterfeit, the card has no value and was included just to fill the space and is just an extra card. Including an extra card is not grounds for a refund. We were well aware it was not a real card; we did not mention it as we felt it added no value. For grading, all cards in sheets are reviewed regardless if they are in the pocket alone or sheeted back-to-back. I am sorry but we feel you received exactly what was listed in the title and the description. In the future if you feel a description is in the least ambiguous, both catalog and monthly auctions offer a three to four week bidding period designed to answer any questions."

Stupid me, I didn't realize that "complete" meant "missing the most important card in the set" and that this set is universally known as "complete" while missing the most valuable card! Not to mention comparing 1959 Fleer #68 to the Goudey Lajoie is absolutely ridiculous!

By simply stating "79 cards", not "79/80" or anything like that is completely misleading. I now know there are 80 cards in this set.

Aside from the overall condecending tone, I also was rather insulted by the remark "Including an extra card is not grounds for a refund." Yes, thank you, that is why I was upset, because you had the generosity to include an extra card in your otherwise "complete" set.

For me, Heritage is a love/hate relationship. I find nothing wrong with their auction previews. I do however, find some issues with how they treat their customers. I have placed $100,000's worth of bids, it shocks me that such a small issue is handled so poorly on their part.

Jason
by a TPG. The reason I asked, was out of curiosity, I went to the Heritage Site this morning to check on your story. They had 85 completed auctions for 1959 Ted WIlliams and the only items which may have been over $1000 were sets which were in TPG holders. If so, then a higher price makes sense.

Here is a link to Heritage's 1959 Ted Wililams listings. You do need to sign in and be registered.

http://www.ha.com/c/search-results.z...r+ted+williams

And I will tell you that in old sets and modern sets the SP card is not always considered part of the complete set. Instead that becomes part of a master set.

Rich