View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
This little thing probably cost about a Quarter when it was made. It measures only about 2" square. It's kind of cool, and I must confess to being an under-bidder (albeit way down the chain). But the final price shocked the heck out of me.... $308 + change!

Also perplexing is the fact that the eBay listing has vanished. The eBay item # was 192547066311. It ended only yesterday, but has completely disappeared from the system. First time I have ever encountered this.

Here are a few questions/thoughts....

1. Are Mays/Giants Collectors really that desperate for something they haven't seen before?

2. How rare is it? Has anyone ever seen another? If so, is $308 a typical sale price?

3. Did they make these Banks for other players besides Mays? You would have to assume so.

4. Is it really even an original Willie Mays piece? Any Bozo could possibly have inserted that tiny photo of Mays (or Aaron or Ruth, or any Hollywood TV Celeb for that matter).

And has anyone ever seen a completed auction vanish a day later... even though the auction went full-term?
1) yes. I remember a Willie Mays pencil sharpener, years back, going for almost $300.

2) never seen one before.

3) don't know.

4) could be home made.

Finally, I found it in completed auction but when I click on it, it takes me to a Babe Ruth wristwatch.