View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Maybe people can chime in on what they are doing, it would still be anecdotal but interesting. The handful of folks I know have not switched.
Well, probably not a very worthwhile datapoint but....

I only send stuff in very occasionally, and not many cards when I do. So far I'd only used SGC. I've never been keen on the whole "pay us money for the right to pay us more money" club thing.

I had thought I'd use PSA eventually for some more modern cards.

Over the past year or so, I've seen both do things that I just really have a problem with.

PSA- grading a card an 8, folding over the corner, then "fixing it by folding it back and reslabbing still as an 8. If the grading co is doctoring cards, what's the point?

SGC - Went with the "club" model.
And - Slabbed at least two cards that have faked features that would make them a lot more valuable if they were genuine. Wrote a whole explanation about why for someone who was having them reviewed. Total slam dunk on the fakeness. Their decision? Nope, forget the facts we're right.

So now while I'm still interested in getting some cards done somehow - mostly to make it easier for my family to sell them hopefully a few decades from now - I'm totally disillusioned with the entire thing.

I don't see any honesty from either company, nor do I see what I'd want for customer service. SGC can get it right when it's easy, but apparently not at any other time. That PSA can't even do customer service when it's easy is just bad.

I haven't considered Beckett in so long that I can't really say much about them.

Steve Birmingham