View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Steve Asmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Steve- I don't think you're directing your comments correctly. The reason for Rose's ban is not because he bet on Baseball games, but that he bet on Baseball games on which he had inside information (injuries) or could take action (lineup changes) which could determine the outcome of those games.

I can see, regretfully, a time in the future when Baseball players are allowed to bet on games, but only with absolutely strict limitations on which games would be involved.
I was not addressing Pete Rose and why he was banned for life, I was only addressing the "Black Sox" and Joe Jackson in particular. The "Black Sox" did conspire with gamblers, some or part of the group did accept payment from the gamblers, and all that were "linked" to the conspiracy were given lifetime bans from the game of baseball.

What Pete Rose did was an entirely different situation, some would say not nearly as bad as throwing games, but at the end of the day MLB doesn't draw a clear set of distinctions between the two crimes against the game, but they are both lumped together punishable with a lifetime ban. At some point in time what Pete Rose did may be addressed differently in the rules, thus ending his ban.

Unfortunately, someday players may be allowed to bet on games, but I just don't see a day when the game of baseball makes it allowable for them to "conspire" to throw games, much less a World Series. I also do not foresee the Hall of Fame enshrining any of the involved Black Sox including Joe Jackson as not to remove any doubt that MLB and the Hall of Fame view what they did as one of the absolute worst crimes that was committed against the game of baseball. If throwing games is tolerable in any way shape or form in the game of baseball, then really what's the point of the game?