View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Big League Baseballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Rawlings, thanks for the link to your site. Pud Galvin died in 1902 at the age of 45. Does anyone really think there is a ball, let alone one that could be read, of Galvin? From the article:
No problem. And good question, I'll have to ask him about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerden View Post
I really got a kick out of the old lady showing off her pistol. Whew, how intimidating! If you have to pack heat and make your memorabilia room bomb proof maybe you should have a different hobby, like needlepoint or scrapbooking. Sorry if I am not that impressed. Why would you want to go public with your collection if you have taken all these security precautions to protect it from potential thieves? I assume the collection is insured and would therefore be protected in the event of fire or theft.
I believe it's not insured, at least according to their interview. I'd guess the "vault" is actually more a result of his real life's work, which was related to homebuilding, but that might be a stretch.

Don't quote me on this, but I recall him getting interviewed by ESPN I believe, and there was a discussion about eventually donating some or all of the baseballs to a permanent display or a new museum so that the general public could one day enjoy this amazing collection. I don't know what the plans were but I believe that's still a possibility.