View Single Post
Old 11-13-2001, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Default The never ending vagueness of ebay

Posted By: petecld

First off I have had nothing but good experiences with Jon also, that is why I was disappointed with the wording of this card.

This is the description from the Lipset auction:

*1. E90-1 American Caramel set of 120.
The most under appreciated and rarely seen set of the 20th century. Most of the cards have been very slightly trimmed at the top or bottom (about 1/16 of an inch) and the following grades do not take this into account. Baker (vg-ex, not trimmed), Bemis (vg), Bender (vg-ex), Bresnahan (ex), Brown (ex), Chance (ex), Clarke, Ph (vg-ex), Clarke, Pitt (gd-vg), Cobb (ex), Collins (ex), Crawford (ex), G.Davis (gd), Duffy (fair), Gibson, rear (vg), Graham (ex), Jackson (vg), Jennings (ex), Joss (ex), Joss-Hor. (vg-ex), Karger (ex), Keeler-Port.-Pink (ex), Keeler-Port.-Red (vg-ex, not trimmed), Keeler-Hor. (ex, o/c), Lajoie (ex), Marquard (vg-ex), Mathewson (ex), Mitchell (fr-gd), Plank (vg-ex), Stahl (gd-vg), Speaker (gd-vg, nice appearance), Sweeney (ex, o/c), Tinker (ex), Wagner-bttg (gd), Wagner-throw (fr-gd, scrape at side), Wallace (gd), Walsh (vg), Willis (ex), Young, Bos (ex), Young, Clev (gd-vg). Balance of collection: 31 excellent, 17 vg-ex, 27 very good, 4 gd-vg, 2 good, 1 poor. MB $5,000

Lew DID note on a few cards, in this lot and others, that certain cards weren't trimmed. C'mon, we are talking about a Joe Jackson card here - If you were Lew Lipset wouldn't you mention that the Joe Jackson card wasn't trimmed if it wasn't? A common I can see forgetting, but the Joe Jackson? I don't think so. That is the key card to the set.

Lew used the "most are trimmed" line in describing the E97 B/W cards. I asked him how many weren't trimmed and I was told that they were in fact ALL trimmed, granted this may or may not be true of the E90-1 set but since trimmed cards sell for such a low fraction of un-trimmed cards I would think a seller would take advantage and note as many cards as possible which ones aren't trimmed - especially the HoF players.

Also these cards were trimmed by the original owner to fit into plastic sheets, not to make them look better. If you wanted all of your cards to fit certain size sheet it would stand to reason ALL of the cards would need to be trimmed.