View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Craig Diamond

Default Stan the Man

For a few years in the late 1980's there was an annual televised awards show called the "Jim Thorpe Sports Awards." I lucked into tickets one year, watched the show and then when it was over everyone hung around and mingled, included the various athletes - Riddick Bowe, Emmitt Smith, Jackie Joyner, Jim Courier, etc.

I moved around in the crowd getting signatures, shaking hands and just generally being in awe. At one point I look around and notice an older man in a red jacket sitting alone by himself in the front row. Right away I see it's Stan Musial. Stan Musial! No one's paying any attention to him at all and he's just kicking back watching the scene. I walk over and all I can say is something like "Wow, you're Stan Musial!" He says "that's right!" and then pulls out a stack of postcard sized cards with a full colored photo and lots of stats and info. He asks if I'd like an autograph and even had a sharpie ready to go. We had a brief chat and I moved on. Felt like I'd found hidden treasure.

It was cool to see all the great athletes, but as a baseball loyalist, having a chance to meet up with Stan Musial was easily the highlight.