View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 04:43 AM

Default Latest Sports Antique of the Week feature now posted - c1912 Flying Merkel Trophy

http://www.sportsantiques.com/flying...cle_trophy.htm
Please know I have posted my latest Sports Antique of the Week on my site SportsAntiques.com...see link above...The story is about a c1912 motorcycle race trophy won by a Flying Merkel...which I got back in November 2018...The racer named Louis Torres of Tampa Florida was quite colorful and led a short but exciting life...The story looks at all the aspects of what was engraved on the trophy...Pretty much all my research came from Newspaper clippings...I knew next to nothing about the Flying Merkel when I first saw the trophy...But since writing this piece I now know more about the earliest days of motorcycle racing than I ever would have had I not gotten it...One of my biggest research finds was an obscure 1975 article written by a J.L. Beardsley on the racing history of the Flying Merkel…Which I posted within my story...Beardsley's story is very remarkable in that while his focus is on the Flying Merkel...you get a good look at motorcycle racing as a whole by reading it...Hope you enjoy the story...Thanks so much for the sounding board Leon!

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 02-23-2019 at 12:37 PM.