View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree with this. There is likely more than one explanation for someone buying a card at a higher price than one sold or listed. I remember when selling some of my items in auction, I had left one of them on my for sale website by accident. It sold in auction for more than I had it listed for on my site. The winner in auction asked if he could have it at my site price (*you know who you are ) and I had to say "no".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Hello Frank,
This is the smoke and mirrors effect I see time after time in the hobby that sometimes defies a conclusive or rational explanation. It would be easy to assume the high price point was the result of nefarious bidding however I think sometimes, it is as innocent as a collector, or two (because it takes two to tango), getting caught up in the moment.

I do consult recent sales before I decide to sell something and it now requires effort and reasoning to be able to interpret the data provided because so many factors can influence the final price. Maybe it was a very high end example and someone thought they could get a grade bump. Maybe the card had exceptional centering as we know the hobby loves centered card. Maybe this was the first time in a couple years this card was sold and sadly maybe it just was someone tinkering with the sale's process.

Just my thoughts...

Chase

Last edited by Leon; 11-16-2018 at 09:43 AM.