Thread: E94 Young
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default E94 Young

Posted By: Paul

I don't think there's enough evidence at this point to say that there's anything wrong with the card, or that H&S has a duty to amend its listing. But I don't really like their policy of not second guessing a grader. Sometimes, it is undeniable that a grader has made a mistake -- like with the T206 Doyle that Keith Olberman purchased. When the error is clear, even through the holder, I don't think a seller should perpetuate the error by selling the card.

I also think an auction house can get an incredible amount of well earned respect when it describes a particular card as being overgraded -- or at least points out a flaw in the card that some might regard as inconsistent with the grade (for example, "Displays beautifully. Professionally graded VG3, but does have a pinhole at the top."). This kind of description shows that the auction house has enough expertise to question a grader, and at the same time has the integrity to point out the flaws in the product it is selling.

Having said all that, I must also say I have bought cards from Huggins & Scott and have always been satisfied. I have no reason to doubt their integrity and I suspect that in the case of a clearcut error that they might modify their policy.