View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
In 1985 I started collecting baseball cards and was playing little league baseball. We bought Topps and Fleer and one night my dad came home with an entire paper bag full of Fleer cello packs from the local Revco store. This was monumental because my folks didn't have a lot of money.

My oldest brother Matt who was the least interested got to fill his set and when it was all said and done I had the only card he was missing. The Pete Rose. He was huge at this time and little kids like me loved him. I had to give it to Matt and I cried and was so upset.

Once I was in my late teens the set was packed away with my stash of cards and it was just sitting in a penny sleeve inside the box. In 2017 my parents were moving and my mom said take these cards or they are going in the trash. I knew the Pete Rose was there and rescued it and parted with the rest.

I got it graded and was thinking it was a PSA 4. Here it is
I'll share the love of 1985 Fleer. I was 10 years old in the summer of 1985 and vacationing with my family in Orlando, and we went in to a Walgreens pharmacy where they had a big display box of open, loose 1985 Fleer cards, selling them for 1 cent each. I went through and picked out all the Royals I could find. Those were officially my first baseball cards.

Fast forward to October 1985 when I got to watch those very same Royals pictured on my cards win a World Series. I remember shuffling through and "playing" with them during the Series, ordering them by batting order, etc. Funny enough, I did NOT pull a George Brett out of that box in Florida, but I did pull this guy...and there really wasn't a hotter pitcher than Sabes that fall. Cy Young, World Series MVP, this card was actually "valuable" for a while.

Still have it (as well as the other 1985 Fleer Royals I pulled that day). I really should pick up a Brett and any other Royals I'm missing, and finally complete that team set.

sabes.JPG