View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell-1994 View Post
1. Is this my fault? Due to the goof of listing "very good" condition within the listing description for a PSA 2 GOOD card?

2. Or, is this buyer as conniving as I believe him to be? Is he operating in an intentional way to get reimbursed by his credit card co. while avoiding any contact with Ebay, Paypal or the seller while also intending to retain the baseball card?

3. If Paypal loses the case for me and I am forced to pay his credit card co. back, how do I ensure that I receive my Eddie Mathews card back? Paypal could not answer this question for me.

4. Has this happened to you or someone you know when selling an item? How did it work out for you/them?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
1. Nope.
2. Yep, worst case scenario.
3. You'll never see that card again, but I feel you have a good chance of winning the dispute.
4. Happened to me on non-card items, small change. Some of them were stuff I get for free at work and re-sell so I just never responded to the disputes.

It's interesting that ebay admitted the scammer has 30 accounts in blatant violation of the site terms, but this is good news. Disclosing this to you means eBay knows he is a thief. He's probably ghosting the dispute, which means the more you talk, the more likely you are to come out on top. If you are on the phone-from here on out record everything. Bottom line-one or the other has to come back to you-money or the card. I wouldn't accept the card, personally, it's probably been removed from that holder anyways which is one reason he can't/won't send it.

I'm interested to know how/why a borrower would issue a chargeback so quickly and decisively on this. The process usually is to issue a temporary credit while your lender processes the dispute. My big problem here is again, Paypal being the middle man. Lenders are supposed to contact merchants directly on chargebacks, but it's just one more right you give up using these platforms.

Scammers might be specifically targeting no-return listings, since they can lie in wait, then argue the item was not as described and they have no recourse other than a dispute. eBay is pushing collectibles sellers towards 30-day returns, and I'm now wondering if these cases factored into that push. It could easily dismiss this buyer's claim by simply asking why he didn't return within the mandated window.

Anyone claiming that the "very good" condition is the reason for returning a PSA 2 card is gaming the system, plain and simple. It's a bad faith argument. Still, those generic conditions have no place in our listings of graded cards. To insulate yourself further set any listings to the lowest condition.