View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default Wiffle Ball boxes

Posted By: Brian Powell

Chuck, I vaguely remember the time that the wiffle ball was introduced, and a couple of the players whose pictures appeared on their boxes. It was 1962, the year after Whitey Ford had had his best season. I do recall seeing a few black and white commercials for the new wiffle ball, with Whitey Ford in them. The idea being conveyed was that it was easy to learn how to throw the curve ball like Whitey Ford, if you bought and pitched with the new Wiffle ball. They had fun action sequences of Whitey using a wiffle ball to throw his curve. I do not remember if his children were also in the commercial. Back in the late 1980s, someone in SCD offered one of the very early Wiffle balls (the smaller ball) and the box. It had Roger Maris's head pictured on the box, in black and white. Stupid me, I sold it about 4-5 years later. I wish I had it back, not that it's more valuable, but it was a terrific display piece, as well as virtually pristine. Chuck--hope this is some of what you were after. -Brian Powell