View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 11:20 AM

Piggy Ward held, a 19th century player, held TWO MLB records for decades.

His first record was as the youngest player to debut in the major leagues. He pitched for the Philadelphia Quakers on June 12, 1883 at the age of 16 years, 1 month, and 27 days. He did not appear again in a major league game until six years later.

Piggy's age record was not beaten until June 10, 1944 when Joe Nuxhall debuted for the Cincinnati Reds at the age of 15 years, 10 months, and 10 days. Like Piggy, Joe pitched one game and then did not appear again in a major leage game until several years later (8 years later). Nuxhall was a pitcher. Piggy was an outfielder, so he still owns the record for the youngest non-pitcher to debut in the majors.

Piggy Ward's second record was set on June 16-19, 1893 when he reached first base on 17 consecutive plate appearances (by any means). This record has never been beaten, although it was tied by Earl Douglas Averill on June 3-10, 1962.

Piggy had the misfortune of debuting before the Old Judge issues, and getting back to the majors after the Old Judge issues. He has no baseball cards to my knowledge. But because I am an Earl Averill collector (my wife's relative) I created a fantasy card for him: