View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Not sure if you're referring to the Vikings-Panthers game or some other, but in that game both teams heated the footballs, basically in front of each other on the sidelines during pre-game, with tens of thousands in the stands and the Fox pre-game cameras focused right on them. The difference was not the media, but the fact that such scenario screamed ignorance rather than an intent to deceive, with neither team designed to gain an advantage over the other. Much different than stuff happening down in the tunnel, or the nearby bathroom, deliberately done out of view and with an intent to gain an edge, followed by the QB sand-papering his equipment guys, refusing to turn over records and then giving a "what me?" press conference that his contemporaries pretty much to a man found deceitful.

The Hornung reference is a good one though. There of course two marquee guys get bounced for a whole year for betting on games (not their own) -- acts that had no influence on who actually won. Here, the conduct was specifically designed to help the cheating team win, and yet the one with knowledge and orchestrator of that conduct is suspended for only 1/4 of the season (likely less after appeal), still causing the gnashing of teeth by those who cry railroad. Some could say the firm hand of league integrity is a little wobbly today.
I was unaware the heating of the footballs during that game was mostly innocent and with both teams involved.

I suspect Brady will appeal and considering Goodell's horrible luck with the appeal process the number of games suspended will likely go down. But the main reason he keeps losing is because he overreacts with a monster suspension after the media and public cry out over the light sentence he had previously handed out. I don't think Brady's 4 games is an overreaction and I suspect it might stick. Hard to feel sorry for Brady when he lied to the investigators and didn't turn over his phone. He's acting like a criminal in a context which does not include possible criminal penalties. He got what he deserved here.