View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Mark O.
Mark Og.ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
the fact that the signed photo looks like the glove and the capital R in Rocky isnt anything what is suppose to be a late 60's autograph of marciano just cements for me.
I just went through each and every year from 1948 to 1969 and could not find a similar "R" in any example. Not only could I not find a similar "R" in his signature, I could not find a similar "R" in any of his writings.

The notorized letter of provenance states:

"I remember Rocky telling me that he was going to sign the gloves to me so that everyone would know that they were really his sparring gloves from 1951 that he used to get ready for his championship bout with "Jersey" Joe Walcott in 1952, in which Rocky became the new World Heavyweight Boxing Champion. Rocky signed both sets of gloves to me personally, a total of (4) signatures".

Does it state he witnessed the gloves signed or that they were signed in his presence? Could the owners beginning statement "I remember Rocky telling me that he was going to sign the gloves to me" be an indication that he didn't have a clear recollection and might be mistaken?

If PSA/DNA doesn't want to come on here and shed some light on this peculiar item is there anyone who can come up with a similar exemplar or similar handwriting to the inscription?

Remember, this item is being sold as:

Rocky Marciano 1951 Used Sparring Gloves For "Jersey" Joe Walcott Championship Fight - Both Gloves Signed PSA/DNA and Notarized Letter of Provenance

And:

Our research indicates this is the only pair of worn Marciano gloves ever signed and authenticated by PSA/DNA.

And:

Finding PSA/DNA authenticated signed and worn gloves from Marciano, well this is the first.

And:

While the notarized letter mentions Walcott, that Marciano fought Joe Louis on 10/27/51 so it is likely these gloves were used for training in that fight as well.

Just an all-around irresponsible listing by this auction house. There is no clear proof that these are training gloves worn by Marciano other than someone said that Rocky Marciano said. And is the comment in the listing "that Marciano fought Joe Louis on 10/27/51 so it is likely these gloves were used for training in that fight as well." just an example of how this items value is trying to be enhanced? I'm not doubting this individual might have had a relationship with Rocky Marciano but IMO it is being played upon big time here.

Did this TPA authenticate this autograph without one shred of supporting evidence just to enhance the value of this item?

Did this TPA use the process they claim in post #28? Can they walk us through it using this auction lot as an example? Or is that a false statement on their web site?

FBI, Bureau of Consumer Protection can you see how worthless items could and sometimes do get sold for $25,000 or more?

Again, PSA/DNA or anyone else, feel free to comment or add any evidence that supports this items legitimacy.

Mark Ogren
Sch'dy, NY