View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default OT: Super Bowl Sunday

Posted By: Cy

Todd,

First off, the "Get a Grip" comment wasn't directed at you. If you thought that, I apologize. But it is directed at anyone who really thinks that the refs stole the game from the Cardinals. That didn't happen.

But to address your points. Assume that the big play didn't happen. It did. It was a great play but I said that the Cards had one big play. For the sake of argument, take the long Fitzgerald TD away and you have Warner throwing 200 yards into a pass prevent defense that yielded basically nothing. The stats would have been irrelevant.

Secondly, do you really think that the Steelers didn't play a 60 minute game? Do you really think that they weren't clutch? Ben got the ball with 2:35 left in a game that the Steelers had in control for a while, then fell behind. The first play was a holding play. So now it is 1st and 20. After that he methodically moved the Steelers down the field to score an amazing TD. If that isn't clutch, what is? I think it was Steve Young who said that this was Ben's defining moment as a professional. I agree.

Finally, the last Cards play, do you really think that the officials just glossed that one over? The head of officiating was at the game. It's the Super Bowl, they are not going to gloss over that play. The fact is that it was quite obvious that it was a fumble. If the officials wanted to do something to play around with that call, don't you think that it would have been more exciting to say, what the heck, let's give Warner one last shot at the end zone. But they saw it quickly and then did the right thing.

My final point, then I am done here. The Steelers won the game. The Cardinals came back, but when it truly mattered, the Steelers came up with the plays to win the game, not the referees. I just think it is disingenuous to say that the Steelers didn't win this game.

Take care.

Cy