View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default So, let's say eBay is gone....

Posted By: Jason

Unless eBay changes their policies on payment options and feedback they will fail. Good powesellers are leaving in droves. Ebay was a great idea back when they offered auctions. It was when they got greedy and started implementing "new" ideas to bring more revenue that ruined the auction site and now it is more of a store hosting site. I was as guilty as the next seller at one time because I had alot of store inventory. If a competitor came up with a way to get back to the auction basics then it could give ebay a run for thier money. Of course this would take tons of capital and time and marketing. I am toying with an idea for an auction site. The downside to going back to auction only format is policing bad sellers or dealing with scammers.

Now, my take on the card market.....I think some issues are going through an adjustment, but vintage cards will only get stronger. There is alot of room to move up in the baseball card collectible hobby..it is nowhere near the coin or art hobby because it has not been around as long, but there are more people coming into the vintage market and there is only so many vintage cards. Eventually demand will drive up prices. I predict post war prices will get stronger next as well as rarer type pre war cards. I do not think the economic crisis will have a huge impact. I think people will have to put money somewhere and collectibles and antiques always stand the test of time. My 2 cents.

Jason