View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default Howe McCormick backstamps - 50 I'll never see

Posted By: Ed McCollum

I'm just being hones when I say there is no way I could afford to even start to bid on the lot. The final price will easily be at least half a years salary, before any sort of commision, and there is no way that could happen. Nor am I willing to take out a second mortgage, or steal from my son's college fund in hopes of winning and then selling off what I don't want. Much like the individual you mention, CN, I'm interested in only certain ones, and if posting here and drawing the attention of someone who is actively interested in the lot, perhaps to break up and sell in smaller groups, my intentions have been met.

I've been very lucky, and with the help of many of the great "posters" on this board, the collection has grown from 2 to 60 in a short period of time. And I know I'm not the only one around to collect these stamped cards. I've tried to contact a gentleman who has sent e-mails to others here on the board, asking if they have any of Howe's cards, but with no response. And while it would be nice to get every one of them out there, part of the fun of it has been never knowing how many there are. If nothing else, from all this, I found out there are 50 more than I knew about this morning. Add that to the 60 I've been able to get, the 12 others out there I know of I haven't been able to get, add in the 8 your friend has, and the number has grown to 130. Its a start. A number to shoot for. Thats all it is. But if someone on the board does end up the winner, and is willing to part with some over time, or at least let me know they were the winner, I know where they are, if I ever get the chance to make a run at them later. Thats all it is. Itsnot a plea for sympathy, but knowledge of where they end up, since we know they started out at 500 W. Main St. in Gainesville, Fla.

Ed