View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen in Time View Post
Hi Fred,

Well, I believe I've solved the date issue for the Wheaties Mantle photo. In my previous post I mentioned that the photo was definitely taken by Yankee photographer Don Wingfield at Ebbets Field. I checked with Henry Yee and he confirmed both statements. We also both agreed that the photo was from either 1951 or 1952.

I finally found the photo I mentioned that had an Oct 1952 date on the back. Indeed it was taken by Wingfield on Oct. 6, 1952 at the WS at Ebbets Field as Graig had suggested. So if this is true the chances of the Wheaties Mantle "card" being produced in 1951 is not looking good.

Hope all this helps.

Cheers,

Craig
Hey Craig:

GREAT detective work! Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the year of issue. Now we know it can not be a 1951 set!

As I mentioned over on the postwar section my belief is it is much more likely to be a 1954/55 issue due to the inclusion of three of the 1954 AL Champion Indians. Maybe Bob Lemke can shed some light on the origins of this set and how it came to be known (now erroneously) as a 1951 Wheaties set.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Fred