View Single Post
Old 09-27-2001, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default tony mullane,300 game winner?

Posted By: john

i was wondering why he was claimed in his obituary to be a 300 game winner? it could have just been an associated press story(i dont know if they did that back then) and it was wrong,or if up until a certain point he was considered a 300 game winner? i do know up until a certain point many stats werent up to date and someone went back to the first games boxscores and put together the first complete stats(im in the process of moving right now,and i already packed the book where i read this otherwise i would give better details,sorry,maybe someone else knows off-hand)... i know alot of the first old-time halof famers were elected based on stories of older writers and what they remembered,roger bresnahan was known as john mcgraws leadff hitter,christy mathewsons catchers,first wore shin pads(which is wrong),blah blah,whatever but hes no hall of famer,if there was no tinkers-evers-chance song maybe noe of them would have made the hall,their elections werent based on stats because no one had complete stats...sorry i cant post the link for his obits because of webtv's capabilities,but they are interesting reads...ill send it to someone who can and maybe they could post it for me....John